Mel's Musings

Mel's Musings

THE SITE THAT "MEL GIBSON" DIDN'T WANT YOU TO SEE

"With anti-Christian sentiment on the rise in North America and abroad, the launch of this new bog [sic] couldn’t have been timelier...If you’re a discouraged Christian worried about the future, a visit to www.melgibsonsblog.blogspot.com is like an elixir and sends you on your way with newfound hope."
Judi McLeod, Owner, Canada Free Press

"[The site] is filled with anti-Semitic comments and other outrageous statements, much of them in Latin."
Left-wing rag Newsmax.com

"[I]t made me snarf my cran juice all over the screen."
Antonia Zerbisias, Media Critic, The Toronto Star

"Catch it while you can..." Newsweek



the mel box: malibu church of the holy family at yahoo dot com





satIRE

...get it?


Friday, January 06, 2006

Oratio


O BEATA Virgo Maria, quis tibi digne valeat iura gratiarum ac laudum praeconia rependere, quae singulari tuo assensu, mundo succurristi perdito? Quas tibi laudes fragilitas humani generis persolvat, quae solo tuo commercio recuperandi aditum invenit?

Opus hodiernus: mortalitas

Pat and I may come from different branches of faith, but sometimes he just gets it right.


True Patriot



Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson suggested Thursday that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine punishment for "dividing God's land."

"God considers this land to be his," Robertson said on his TV program "The 700 Club." "You read the Bible and he says `This is my land,' and for any prime minister of Israel who decides he is going to carve it up and give it away, God says, `No, this is mine[...]'"

He also said[...] that in the Bible, the prophet Joel "makes it very clear that God has enmity against those who 'divide my land.'"


And what could be more true? God knows what you are doing, who you are talking to, what books you are checking out from the library. He knows it all. If you do the wrong thing, he's gonna get you. You're going to disappear. Why not do the right thing and go to heaven?

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheney08 said...

Thanks again, Okie,

I appreciate your concern. I first would say that I grew up in Australia, and they use a lot of language down there that is not fit for ladies. At least the people I was around did. Maybe it has something to do with it being a former penal colony.

But I also know that in biblical times, there was in fact no prohibition against the word "fuck," which I believe you are referring to.

As dictionary.com points out:
"It is remotely derived from the Latin futuere and Old German ficken/fucken meaning 'to strike or penetrate', which had the slang meaning 'to copulate'.The word, which entered English in the late 15th century, became more rare in print in the 18th century when it came to be regarded as vulgar."

So the word originally was not considered vulgar, and was certainly not considered vulgar in Jesus' times, which I think is important to consider.

5:14 AM  
Blogger tomax7 said...

Hey Mel

I'm missing something here in the translation.

Peter was identified around the fire pit when he denied knowing Jesus 3x's because he spoke differently. So what did he do to deny this? He broke into a different dialogue, recognizable by those around him as "cursing".

Don't you find that interesting God left that part in the Bible?

Also remember most of these guys were fishermen, so I am sure they are quite accustomed to swearing, or vulgar talk and to not swear would be noticeable, hence the fire pit dialogue.

So the point is not what he said but the fact it was recognized. Whether it be Jesus' day or today we can also discern when one is speaking politely, or using vulgar language.

Hmmm.

Whether or not you grew up in Australia or Alberta, doesn't matter, it matters that you are a representative of Jesus, the Christ, and something should reflect as so.

For one who was in the military, I would swear beyond reason and probably could out do you, so much the so I cannot to this day, 18+years after I received Jesus, to say His complete name - "Jesus Christ" without a twing in my heart of pain.

Because I swore so much, and used Jesus this, Jesus that, it pains me to think I was calling on Him in vain, but He forgave me.

When I received Jesus back in 1979, my mouth got cleaned up so much that people noticed the difference. And this isn’t' through a 12 step program or really trying hard not to swear at Mom's house, but allowing God to clean me up from within.

That is the Christ of the Bible, one becomes "a new creation".

I don't have an issue if you swear or not, you have your own walk and salvation to work out with God, but I fear you can cause a "weaker brother" to stumble by vulgar speech.

Open rebuke is better than secret love and Mel, I believe you had better think it over again about vulgar talk.

Surely there must be other "strong emphasis" words one can use in the English language to describe something.

I also don't buy the "gotta relate to those I talk to thing" either. Might as well drink like nuts to relate to someone fighting alcholism.

cheers
tom

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home